Travel light. Let go of unnecessary connections. Discover the world. Make every individual count.

7.01.2008

New Gadget

I bought a Panasonic DVD recorder on impulse last weekend. The roadshow in Vivo City was giving it at a discount of $150 so I felt it was a good deal. The Starhub cable box internal hard drive was getting full I needed a back up in time for the Beijing Olympics.

Only problem : I'm not good at connecting cables so I had to wait for additional help c/o one of electronic shop's staff who had to come over to my place tonight and check what gadgets I actually have. When he had sorted out the cable connection , I then had to familiarise myself with the operating instructions he gave me.

The configuration of my Starhub cable box does not promote easy installation of any DVD recorder. At least that's what the staff said.

What does he exactly mean? If I'm recording a program from a cable channel, I cannot watch another cable channel otherwise, the recording will go haywire. However, I can still watch Mediacorp channels via another remote control. It turned out to be very complex that I was nursing a headache after!

Anyway, the instructions are now written down on a sheet of paper for me to practice when I am more patient. The DVD recorder also doubles up as a DVD player so I will need to get rid of my extra DVD player over the coming weeks.


Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds very confusing! So you cant watch cable (other than mediocorp channels) anymore when you're recording something? Hassle!

7/02/2008 4:32 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's typical of all cable boxes.

Traditionally, a video (VHS) recorder would have a TV tuner built into it. Technically, it had 2 tuners. So it could record one channel, meanwhile you could watch another channel. The signal came into the recorder over the air. It then used two tuners, one for recording, one for watching.

Cable boxes don't encourage you to record programs. So they have only 1 tuner. It's not really a tuner, but you can think of it as a tuner. So you can only watch or record 1 station at any one time.

If you really want to watch and record different programs simultaneously, you can often get a second cable box quite inexpensively. You could then set that up, in another room, with your DVD recorder attached. Then you'd have two fully independent systems, capable of recording or watching one program at a time, each. So one recording, one watching, or two recording simultaneously if you're out.

:)

7/03/2008 3:46 PM

 
Blogger Leo C said...

Hey Callum,

Thanks for spending a few minutes to provide the background / tip. Much appreciated. Still adjusting to it.

Hope you are doing well whichever country you are in!!

Leo.

7/03/2008 11:10 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home