Travel light. Let go of unnecessary connections. Discover the world. Make every individual count.

1.08.2006

Back in the Driver's Seat

Turn on the Engine

Our driver decided on his own to take an extended leave without due notice so in my family's view, he has put an end to his employment. This is the last behavioral issue we could tolerate so we were happy to let him go. And with such half-expected exit, a few adjustments had to take place. What an unusual way of welcoming the new year.

So I am back in the driver's seat (literally) now having a heightened awareness of what needs to be checked in the car regularly, which roads shall get me to my destination in the least possible time, and yes my dreaded driver-related task, strategically finding the right parking slot and battling it out with individuals who have great peripheral vision for cars backing out of the parking area!

It's a cool situation. Believe it or not, I am beginning to love driving. Praise God for cars on automatic transmission! If only I could get the undisciplined pedestrians and bus drivers off the streets...

Now that I have full control of the wheels, there are two (2) 2006 goals at risk : (1) heading back to the gym (though the accelerator-brake combo in driving to Makati + parking slot hunt shall be my warm-up) and (2) my newly-discovered passion : hosting overseas travellers. Too early in the year to worry about these; I should find a remedy at some point.

The Pseudo-Backpacker

Friday night... Pao and Shelly, one of my most favorite couple friends from uni, are heading back to the US this weekend so they invited us to a gimmick at Metrowalk. Go figure what was on my mind when I got their SMS. Wide gap between work and gimmick time, long drive to the north and back home, sleepy or tipsy or both.

In a posh moment, I decided to book myself at one of the popular condo-hotels in Ortigas for the night. I've never paid for accommodation beyond my home while in Manila (only when overseas). No violent reaction from my ever-conservative family (what's a guy to do when sleeping on his own in a booked place overnight).

My room was similar to the 4-star hotels I've stayed in Singapore. Comfy bed, good entertainment system, though cramped T&B. Had dinner there and the food was nothing great (still better though than driving to El Pueblo). Slept for a while then prepared myself for a night of catching up. The irony of it all : Never even had a sip that night.


Stayed here until 1030 am / Sat, 7 Jan 06

1 Comments:

Blogger Pauline said...

the room looks like the Manila Diamond. :) Is it?

1/10/2006 1:57 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home